Vinod Khosla says the only way forward is radical innovation.
He’s right. But what do we mean by this?
For large companies I guess it falls into these eight areas:
1) Power generation
3) Site and office efficiency
4) Influencing suppliers and the supply chain
5) Transportation & logistics
6) Product materials, design and use
7) Product disposal/recycling/upcycling
8) Positively influencing stakeholders through policy and behaviour change
Let me know what I missed here. There’s bound to be something.
Of these numbers 4, 6 and 8 seem to me the most powerful, at least for retail or FMCG firms.
Number four because that’s where a lot of the carbon, social issues and pollutants are.
Number six because that’s how you minimise them.
Number eight because behaviour change is so vital, and consumers, institutions and governments need help to think these things through.
Further posts will look at some of the above in more detail as I think it through, do more research and read your comments.