Asking some tough questions about plastics
Later in 2018, we’re convening a meeting about plastics and sustainability in Amsterdam. So what? You might say, you and everyone else, too. Well, yes, good point you might raise, but our plan is a different one. We don’t seek to demonise plastics, as so many are doing right now. We’re taking a more nuanced approach, below, and I hope you can join us.
Here’s what we’re working on:
Why (some) plastics are essential – and how collaboration will make them sustainable
Overcome barriers to collaboration, and drive progress that works for consumers, the environment, utility and business reality
A two-day business conference, Amsterdam, 16th-17th October 2018
This two-day business conference will be held under the Chatham House Rule. It will feature retailers, brands, manufactures, waste industry managers, suppliers of plastics, policymakers, R&D and innovative start-ups, solutions providers and key NGOs. The conference format will be of facilitated debate and discussion. PowerPoint and boring videos are banned.
Key points for discussion include:
· How to help consumers understand the nuances of the plastics debate – and what your company is doing about plastics
· How to work with design, R&D and recyclers to make lightweight design and plastics recycling effective
· How do we talk to governments, national, regional and municipal, about joining up approaches?
· HOW we avoid being accused of using collaboration as a cloak for business as usual
· The practical implications of a cutting-edge plastics strategy – what’s realistic for your company, and what’s not
· How business, NGOs, media and government can work together to prevent the unintended environmental consequences around removing plastics
Speakers already include:
· Juan Manuel Bañez Romero, European Manager of Government Relations, Mars
· Tom Domen, Global Head of Long Term Innovation, Ecover
· Jon Khoo, Innovation Partner, Interface
· Louise Edge, European Campaign Coordinator, Greenpeace
· Adam Hall, Head of Sustainability, Surfdome
· Nick Hill, Senior Technical Specialist, Conservation for Communities, Marine & Freshwater Programme,Zoological Society of London
· Lee Mann, Sustainable Sourcing Manager, The Body Shop
To see the draft agenda, and to get involved as a speaker, sponsor, exhibitor or attendee, just email firstname.lastname@example.org